CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Made You Look- By: Diane Roberts


"Made You Look" is such a fun book that should be in every classroom. It is full of so many positive elements besides being something that children will truly enjoy. Jason, the main character, favorite tv game show is Masquerade Mania, and he will do just about anything to get on it! The only problem is, he is from Texas, and the show takes place in California. Then, his parents surprise him with the unimaginable...they are taking a family trip to California! Jason gets so excited about flying when his parents drop the news that they will be camping the whole way to California. It is not just any camper, but a camper that looks like a sardine! He also has other worries such as those pertaining to Amby Anderson, they copycat from school. He does not want Amby to find anything out about his trip. After several exciting adventures, they finally get to Masquerade Mania, Jason gets on the show, and he wins a trip to Hawaii and free movie tickets for the whole summer. The player he beats would be none other than Amby!


One element that really drew me into this book was all of the facts, particularly about Texas, that Freddie, Jason's best friend quizzed him about preparing him for the game show. There were also facts though about New Mexico, Arizona, and California. I also liked how the author stressed the importance of continuing to learn over the summer and how important it is for children. He did through the the mom preparing packets for the kids to answer questions about the state they were in as they were driving. She turned it into a competition and made it fun. The author also showed how Jason overcame his troubles. Those included having to drive, not fly, not having Amby copy him, his mother turning his underwear pink, his mother leaving his allosaurus head behind, having to travel with a younger and older sister who picked on you, etc. Jason faced all of the troubles a young boy would but was rewarded in the end for how well he handled each of those situations. Another important element this book had was it's use of modern technology. It talked about the internet, e-mailing, and i-m'ing people and the use of screen names. This is definitely something children these days can relate to.


This book is funny and I really enjoyed it. It kind of reminded me of the family vacation my family took to The Grand Canyon. Not only will kids really like this book, but it is one they will definitely be able to relate to. I loved it!

4 comments:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Molly: I figure why you'd like this book like you do: you go on family vacations/trips. And then I saw the picture of you with your mom and Meredith Viera, and I figure, yeah, Molly would really get this character. And then I figure, she'd really love Diane Roberts and she'd love you. I need to get you in touch with her. I'll look to see if I've got her email.

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Molly: you'll have to blog about your communication with the author. I think we'd all love to hear about it in your own words. Thanks for sharing a bit of it in class today.

Hilary LeMar said...

This book reminds me of going on vacations with my family too. I have not finished the book yet but I am really enjoying it. I agree with you that kids will be able to relate to this book as well as enjoy it.

Tamara said...

I agree with you, this book was very good. I love how the character described his trip and it was so funny to me that he was so embarrassed about camping in the RV parks.